It is with great pleasure, I announce to you the launch of IBA’s first ever online Election for the post of Alumni Representative on the IBA Board of Governors to be held from October 07, 2015 to November 07, 2015.
One of the many privileges as alumni of IBA Karachi is the election of one Alumni Representative on the Board of Governors. The Alumni Representative serves a three-year term and the time has come this year to elect your representative.
The Alumni Website has been redesigned to provide information about the board and the election process, as well as information on each of the candidates, to help you make your informed choice.
I hope that you would take part in the process and express your choice for the Alumni Representative on the Board of Governors.
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the first-ever online election to the Alumni Representative to the Board of Governors (BoG).
My heartiest felicitations to IBA Team for developing the first-of-its-kind Online Election system in Pakistan.
The preparation for this online election was begun about three years ago when I started the switch to an electronic database of all the Alumni.
Under the Institute of Business Administration Act, 1994 (Sindh Act No. XX of 1994, PART – IV (I) (xiii),
the Board of Governors of the Institute of Business Administration consists of, among others, one member of the Registered Graduates of the Institute elected from amongst themselves.
1. All graduates of the IBA Karachi of three years’ standing and upward shall automatically take part in the Online Alumni Election.
2. A graduate shall not be allowed to file his/her nomination or propose a candidate if (a) he/she is declared bankrupt, or (b) he /she is convicted of any offence involving moral turpitude.
Amendments to Alumni Election Process
According to Item no. 7 of the minutes of the 71st meeting of IBA Board of Governors, the procedure for election of Alumni Representative on the IBA Board of Governors was modified as under:
• The new list of Registered Graduates would automatically include all those who have graduated from IBA and have three years standing.
• There would be no registration fee for Registered Graduates.
• A list of Registered Graduates containing full name and year of graduation would be placed on the IBA Website.
• In view of automatic registration there would be no need of closing the Register of Registered Graduates 30 days before the election.
• The modified Registered Graduates Statutes would be applicable for the next election due in 2015.
• The notification regarding approved modifications in the Statutes would be issued by the Director (now Program Director) Alumni Affairs. Steps for Participating in Election
You can become part of the Online Election by taking the following steps:
• Visit the Alumni website https://alumni.iba.edu.pk
• Check your name in the Voters’ List present on IBA Website and Alumni Website
• Login to the Alumni website by inserting your email address and password
• In case, you have forgotten your password, you can retrieve your password by clicking the Forgot Password button in the Login Area or by visiting https://alumni.iba.edu.pk/alumni/forgot_password
• If your name does not appear in the voters’ list, kindly register 48 hours before the voting day, by clicking on the following link: https://alumni.iba.edu.pk/alumni/register
• Once you are logged in, an interface would appear showcasing various buttons. Choose Online Elections from the menu.
• The various steps involved in the Online Election can be found in the individual tabs present on the top bar of the Election portal.
• Click on the “File Nomination” button, a form will appear which automatically fetches his/her data from the Alumni database and additionally requires him/her to answer questions related to his/her Manifesto, Achievements, Bankruptcy and Criminal conviction.
• The candidate will be notified of his/her application as nominee in the Activity History section.
• Each nominee will require at least 2 proposals to qualify for the next stage.
• Wait till you receive two proposals for your nomination.
• Once two proposals are made for your nomination, you will receive a notification requesting you to Accept Proposals.
• Once you click on the Accept Proposals, Nomination form will appear.
• The candidate will be notified of his/her application as nominee in the Activity History section.
• Once a user files his/her nomination, he/she cannot propose the nomination of another candidate.
• The applicant can withdraw nomination at any point during this stage. However, once the nomination is withdrawn, it cannot be revoked.
• Withdrawal of Nomination allows the user to then propose nomination of another candidate, he/she deems appropriate for the post.
• A nominee cannot propose himself/herself, or propose any other candidate.
• You can propose the nomination of any candidate through our search engine. However, your proposed nominee must receive two proposals, accept proposals and file his/her nomination at any time during this stage, to be able to contest the election.
• The proposer of the withdrawn nominee could again propose nomination of another candidate, he/she deems appropriate for the post.
• Once a user proposes a candidate, he/she cannot file own nomination.
• Once submitted, you would not be able to withdraw your proposal.
The Alumni network of IBA is one of its biggest strengths and one of the reasons that IBA has managed to build and maintain its reputation in the field of education and the economy of Pakistan.
The IBA greatly values its alumni, and in that regard, every three years, IBA requires its Alumni to vote for their representative on the IBA Board of Governors.
Selecting the best candidate for the position is very important, not just to IBA for its major decision-making, but to you, as an alumnus/a, to ensure that you are correctly represented.
Your vote can help make a difference to your alma mater, so actively participate in this year’s election, and choose a candidate you deem worthy of the position on the IBA Board of Governors.
The Institute of Business Administration Bill, 1994 having been passed by the Provincial Assembly of Sindh on 15th June, 1994 and assented to by the Governor of Sindh on 31st July,
1994 is an Act of the Legislature of Sindh.
According to Section 12 (1) XIII of the IBA Karachi Act,1994, titled "Board of Governors", there shall be a Board of Governors, consisting of the following:-
(i) Dean and Director IBA (Chairman)
(ii) Vice-Chancellor University of Karachi (Member)
(iii) Vice-Chancellor University of Sindh (Member)
(iv) The Director (Chief Executive) (Member)
(v) Secretary Education Government of Sindh. (Member)
(vi) One nominee of the University Grants Commission not below the rank of a whole time Member. (Member)
(vii) President of the Sindh Chamber of Commerce. (Member)
(viii) President, Chamber of Commerce and Industries Pakistan. (Member)
(ix) Two prominent business executives of the Province to be nominated by the Patron. (Members)
(x) Two prominent educationist of the Province to be nominated by the Patron. (Members)
(xi) Two prominent citizens to be nominated by the Patron. (Members)
(xii) Member of the Provincial Assembly to be nominated by Speaker of the Assembly. (Members)
(xiii) One member of the Registered Graduates of the Institute elected from amongst themselves. (Members)
(2) The members, other than ex-officio members, shall hold office during the pleasure of the patron and unless removed earlier shall hold office for three years commencing from the date of the first meeting of the Board.
(3) A member other than ex-officio member shall cease to hold office if he does not attend three consecutive meeting of the Board without any valid reason.
(4) The meetings of the Board shall be presided over by the Chairman or in his absence by one of the members to be elected by the Chairman or in his absence by one of the members to be elected by the members present.
(5) The Board shall meet at least twice a year on the dates to be fixed by the Director in consultation with the Chairman.
(6) The quorum for a meeting of the Board shall be one-half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
(7) The decisions of the Board shall be expressed in the terms of the views of the majority of the members present and voting and in case of tie, the person presiding the meeting shall have and exercise a casting vote.
According to Clause 13 of the Act, titled “Powers and functions of the Board”, the Board shall be the policy formation and executive body of the Institute and shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and the rules, exercise general supervision over the affairs of the Institute.
(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions, the Board shall have the powers:--
(i) To exercise overall control over the Institute;
(ii) To appoint the teachers and other officers/staff of the Institute in BPS-16 and above and to determine the terms and conditions of their services;
(iii)To cause proper books of accounts to be kept for all sums of money received and expended by the Institute and for assets and liabilities of the Institute.
(iv) To consider and approve the budget estimates, annual research programmes, annual reports and audited statements of accounts of the Institute.
(v) To re-appropriate funds from one major head of expenditure to another;
(vi) To enter into, vary, carry out and cancel contracts on behalf of the Institute;
(vii)To institute professorships including Professor Emeritus, associate professorships, assistant professorships, lecturerships and other administrative posts and to appoint persons thereto on the recommendation of the Selection Board;
(viii)To receive and manage property transferred and grants bequests, trusts, gifts, donations, endowments and other contributions made to the institute and to invest any fund representing such property, grants, bequests, trusts, gifts, donations, endowments or contributions in such manner as it may deem fit;
(ix) To prescribe terms and conditions of teaching and non-teaching employees of the Institute, including their qualifications, experience and eligibility for appointment;
(x) To delegate any of its powers to the Director or a committee appointed by the Chairman of any other officer excepting the power of approval of budgetary estimates;
(xi) To approve appointments of members of the various Boards in accordance with the provisions of the Act.
(xii) To appoint auditors for the annual audit of the accounts of the Institute;
(xiii) To suspend, punish and remove from service in the prescribed manner employees appointed by the Board.
(xiv) To frame rules as are necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act;
(xv) To regulate, determine and administer all other matters concerning the Institute and to this end exercise all other powers in this behalf not specifically mentioned in this Act.